After spending a week in Winnipeg and attending the Winnipeg Folk Festival, Emily and I rode a Greyhound bus for 24 hours to Espinola, Ontario. 24 hours is a really long time to be on a bus, but I was happy there weren’t any weirdos on the bus. I even managed to sleep for a few hours.
In Espinola, Emily’s mom picked us up and we drove to lovely Manitoulin Island for 5 days of cabin relaxation. The highlights of the trip were:
- Playing Euchre and Rook.
- Hiking the Cup and Saucer trail, a strenuous but rewarding hike along an escarpment. It took us 3 1/2 hours to hike – 2 hours up and 90 minutes down.
- Canoing and kayaking in Lake Huron.
- Building Inukshuks along the coast.
- Having lots of time to read.
- Looking at the artwork at the Ojibwe Cultural Foundation. I really liked the paintings by Barry Ace.
- Swimming with water snakes. After the I saw one swim by me, I didn’t spend much time in the water.
- Being frequently grouchy from lack of sleep and hunger.
- Spending too much time in the car driving around the island. Manitoulin Island covers a huge area, and it takes a long time to drive around.
- The crappy meal we had at Roosteraunt. My gnocchi was literally swimming in oil.